Invisible Cities; Establishing Shot

An explorer, lost in the storm, discovers Baucis


No GIF build up yet, but shouldn't take to long because I was careful to keep all the layers separate. Speaking of which, this means that it's fairly easy to make alterations, particularly to the lighting, which has bugged me for hours. I had trouble making sure all the elements of the piece stood out from one another; at certain points the picture got too dark/light and all the elements blended together, which looked awful. I'm much happier with the lighting now, but it's probably not perfect.

The foliage is another element that I'm unsure of. I wanted to give the impression of a thick rain-forest, but I found this took up too much of the shot, and I'm still wondering whether it gets in the way. Here it is with no foliage. Taking another look, I'm really torn between these two versions.





Despite this, I'm pretty happy with this painting, and whether I make changes or not it'll probably be my establishing shot for the Invisible Cities project.

Comments

  1. I like both but for different reasons,
    first one is detailed and lively,the second simplistic but clear.
    its just missing one tiny thing, a stronger contracts so the art really pops out.
    it has pretty good composition, strong atmosphere,interesting idea.
    cant wait to see the next one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tom - I do think there are opportunities here for improved cinematic lighting : if you've got that flash of lightening, you've got opportunities for 'rim lighting' - i.e. high intensity highlights that catch the edges of elements, lending further readability and drama. I often give students this reference from The Princess and the Frog because it's a pretty self-explanatory example of using 'light' to direct the eye towards the key elements in an image:

    http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/beautiful-princess-and-the-frog-concept-art-from-disney/.

    (It's the blue/red interior shot...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil! I'll aim to experiment with rim-lighting tonight, after I've finished my Low-Angle painting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts