'Speed Thumb-nailing'



As mentioned on Friday, I've had concerns about the pace at which I'm producing work. 

Here is a selection of the few thumbnails I'd finished by Sunday afternoon;



I'm fairly pleased with them, however they each took far too long due to obsessive tweaking and returning to the same picture over and over again. I needed to find a way to work faster on thumbnails, and I set about testing this today.


The first image in this set took about 25 minutes, but from the second onward I was managing to keep consistently within 5 minutes per thumbnail (with Casper and Katerin as witnesses). I'll probably end up using 10 minutes per thumbnail in practice; which in total comes to about 16 hours, completed in 8 two-hour sessions, which is far more realistic. I know it's not great to be thinking about my art in terms of hours of work and deadlines, but for this particular part of the Invisible Cities brief, it's important that I find an achievable time-frame to work within.

Comments

  1. Hi Tom!
    Don't forget that a thumbnail can also be a lot more abstract, maybe looking at a texture for example. Or maybe using the same thumbnail more than once to explore different colour palettes...
    Don't forget to number them so that we can give you feedback easier!
    Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that last set of images benefit from the increase in speed and freedom - drawings get different energies from being produced more quickly and some of those energies = the X factor in terms of their success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the castle one,looks like something from a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like thumbnail 1 and 4, they're really atmospheric! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts