Invisible Cities Thumbnails 1: Baucis and Diomira


12 Thumbnails of the 10 minute variety, covering Baucis and Diomira




You can probably tell that I much prefer working in grey-scale compared to colour, which adds a whole extra dimension to the thumbnails, and I don't think I have great control over it yet. 

I was initially going to stick purely to greyscale, but I had to ask myself whether I was avoiding it due to 'stylistic preference' or just because I'm afraid of using it, and need to practice in order to improve. Also, it just feels inappropriate to avoid colour, especially with the more lively cities such as Diomira which mention busy food-stalls and shining brass structures. 

However, I'm already feel a preference towards the more ominous and deserted cities, because I just love drawing them.

Please note that numbering is temporary, I'm numbering in groups for now because It's possible I might want to come back and re-visit a city, since I'm only doing a handful of each at the moment.


Comments

  1. I'm liking the atmosphere in those Baucis thumbnails, and the attention you're giving to how the city is built up from the ground - 4, 5 and 6 are especially interesting.

    I think it's good you're bringing in some colours and using what works for the city you're working with at the time and I like that for Diomira you've got the city shining out into the distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! I really like 4, 5 and 6 too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts