What if Metropolis; Updated Final Render and Pipeline

Updated Final Render:



What I gathered from Phil's feedback was that the bright colours in my scene felt too isolated, and the dull grey ground was acting as a divider that pushed the buildings away from each-other. I think to completely solve this problem I'd re-think the entire setup, perhaps pushing the black/grey buildings further into the background and introducing more colourful buildings in the foreground. 

However, I don't have the time to do this, so for now I've tried to re-connect the foreground by introducing some vibrant coloured lighting to illuminate the matte-black ground plane, and parts of the buildings. I've also brought the ambient lighting down slightly and brought up the coloured lights in the scene to help create a more bold composition. I think giving the path emission really helped too, since it plays the role of literally connecting the buildings, and it didn't really stand out in the original render.

I don't quite think this completely solves the problem, as I said, what I think I really need is more foreground geometry. But I definitely prefer this version to the previous.

Pipeline;

Concept Art;



Wireframe:

Ambient Occlusion:


Lighting:


UV Test:


(Note; My UV maps are a little all over the place, but some of the objects here with the most distortion I wasn't too worried about, since I was intending to use untextured materials. The objects I was most worried about were the buildings, since they would have patterned textures applied, and I took care to reduce the distortion on them. I've left the ground without a map, since it's an unmapped, smeared mess, which makes it near impossible to see anything in the foreground.)

Emission:


Matte Painting;



Final Result:





Comments

Popular Posts