What If Metropolis; Euphoria Render 01


EUPHORIA


The first full render of my scene with the matte painting. 


Examples of different maps used.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I discovered recently that the small TV I'm using as a monitor adjusts its brightness according to what's being displayed, which is super unhelpful since it will make dark scenes appear lighter on my screen. 
I noticed it when I realised that context in which the image appears changes its apparent brightness; on my blog with the black background the image seems too light, but in photo-viewer surrounded by a white background it appears too dark, and when I view it fullscreen on its own, it gets autobalanced to be somewhere in the middle. 

This is probably a big part of the reason that my perception of light balance in my last few finished pieces has been all over the place, and often ended up too dark; because Photoshop has a black theme/background which invokes the monitor to lighten the display.

Interesting.

I'll have to figure out how to turn that setting off, but for now I'm just eyeballing it and checking on my phone, which does not have this feature.

Comments

  1. This looks so good! How'd you texture the green buildings like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used an Emission Map! You can use an image to specify areas on a model that glow, in a similar way to bump maps.

      Delete
  2. Hey Tom - congrats! My feelings are you're going to need to pull this composition together quite boldly to coalesce all its differences - for example, picking up on the blue, green and orange of the buildings as coloured lights on the skyscrapers (for example) or or the 'bubble' windows of the big green building. It feels like you need to push the colours out into the composition elsewhere to foster a bit more visual coherence. This is indeed a fascinating vista, but I'd suggest it feels like a collection of quite separate things, and I think strong expressionistic use of colour-thru-lighting is key to emulsifying your vision! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts