Contexts; Essay Ideas

I haven't mind-mapped anything yet, and will be doing some soon, but since I'm a little late on this front I thought I'd better get my preliminary ideas out there for evaluation. These are obviously not final titles, and probably need a fair amount of refinement.

1: Adult Animation; why is it used almost exclusively for Comedy in the West, and can it be successful in other Genres here?

2: The rise (and fall?) of the superhero movie; What social-political factors have caused the super-hero movie to boom recently. What can we learn from the past about where the trend might be going?

3: The Sci-fi scale. How/to what extent is real Science used in the narratives of recent classics? The potential creative benifits/drawbacks of trying to remain faithful to real life scientific theory. (ie, Interstellar, The Martian, 2001; A Space Odyssey) Is there such thing as a 'healthy balance'?

I'm interested in all of these, but I'm not sure whether they lend themselves to academic theory.

Comments

  1. Evening Tom - I think the 'superhero' one is shimmering with potential because I think it asks you to look at archetypes of course, but arguably it also speaks to a number of other things - the 'crisis of masculinity' perhaps or as an indication of a secular belief in gods or... of course, there's the argument too that super-heroes represent a genre that is ideologically enthralled to capitalism (Disney - convergence/corporatism)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... or superheroes as indicative of the 'queering' of mainstream cinema (people of difference teaming up) or ....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts